This post contains affiliate links.
Driving an RV or motorhome can be difficult but there is an added pressure when it comes to maneuvering these vehicles in reverse or attempting to park in a space that is a little tight.
Investing in an RV backup camera is going to make navigating these confined spaces much easier, providing you with live footage of the rear of your vehicle, so that you can evaluate the room you have available.
This is going to be a hugely beneficial investment helping to increase your confidence when faced with these situations and also reducing the risk of accidents or bumps occurring.
The market offers a range of cameras suitable for RVs with lots of wireless options. I have reviewed my top picks along with a buyer’s guide with my top tips for selecting the best camera for your RV.
Best Wireless RV Rearview Camera
For my top pick, I have selected the Rohent Wireless Backup Camera which works with vehicles under 50ft long and is ideal for driving observation, slow speed driving, and reversing. You can use it for setups longer than 50ft but only for slow speed driving and reversing.
This waterproof camera has a premium CCD sensor that can combat bad weather including fog. With a 150-degree viewing angle, you can see plenty of the area surrounding you, and there are two screen monitoring options to choose from. A single screen or a split screen that can monitor two cameras.
As a durable infrared camera, it has night vision ability too, an ideal choice for those that are likely to be traveling with reduced light.
Installation is simple, connect to the cigarette lighter in your vehicle, (12-24V DC power, as any higher, can cause potential damage) and you can then navigate your way through the settings, opting for a front or back view and guidelines to aid you with the setting surrounding you.
If preferred, you can wire it to reverse and rear view only via the powered camera with reverse lights or you can have a constant view if needed. I prefer having a constant view since a rearview mirror is next to useless in an RV and very useless for a truck pulling a trailer.
- The guidelines are great for providing an awareness of the space available around you.
- You can choose from a single camera or a split screen camera.
- With night vision, it is ideal for those who may be traveling through the night or in low light situations.
- Works effectively regardless of the weather and it is waterproof too.
- HD lights or hotspots are going to interfere with the wireless connection.
- Although it is ideal for large vehicles and RVs it doesn’t work as well with smaller vehicles.
- 【Note】: Unique digital signal dedicated antenna design: Our antenna is designed only for the transmission of digital signals, which is...
- 【2 Video Inputs & Single or Split Screen】: This R9 vehicle backup cameras,two wireless video channels monitoring two cameras. For the...
- 【7 INCH Monitor with Recording Function】: The R9 car security products with large 7-inch monitor and fully functioning video recording,...
Next up is the AMTIFO Wireless Backup Camera. This 1080P digital wireless camera provides quality footage at a 984ft range, with no interference, and is suitable for use with vehicles up to 60ft.
The installation process is easy, connect the power to the cigarette lighter or wire it to the ignition. Then pair to the taillight or other light along with the wireless antenna and you are good to go.
With a super large HD monitor, you are presented with clear images with reduced distortion and no reflection or blurring. This makes reversing and driving in tight spacious much easier as you have a better awareness of the space around you.
Thanks to its super high IP rating, it is waterproof and weather resistant with infrared lights for improved visibility in low light driving conditions. The 150-degree viewing angle provides you with a large and clear viewing area.
- Easy installation
- Supports loop video recording, automatically covers earlier segments even when storage capacity is full.
- Waterproof and weather resistant.
- The viewing angle and super large screen provide a clear field of view.
- The infrared lights provide clear vision even when lighting is reduced or you are driving through the night.
- The wire is a little small which may provide difficulties if you have to reach it for a distance.
- It is a little prone to losing signal on occasions.
- ►【Latest Digital Signal】Upgraded Wireless RV Camera with Unique digital signal dedicated antenna, power, transmission distance,...
- ►【4CH 1080P Monitor】Capacitive touch button sensor more durable and smoothly as well as extend the service life. It can take up to...
- ►【Super large HD 1080P 7” monitor】The image is super clear and any distortion is reduced to a minimum. Thus, you will get to enjoy a...
My next pick is the ZEROXCLUB Digital Wireless Backup Camera System Kit. This is a great backup camera with no interference, the signal remains smooth and can even provide clear footage of cars that are traveling up to a speed of 85mph.
Thanks to the advanced technology and 7 inch HD monitor, you receive a clear picture at a fast pace so you are able to drive and reverse while remaining confident in the area surrounding you.
This camera can be installed easily within minutes, simply plug it into your cigarette lighter, wire it via the two methods and as you begin reversing or driving, it will then work straight away.
As a waterproof camera, you can reverse and drive with confidence regardless of the weather situation outside. With 18 infrared lights and a CCD sensor, you are presented with superior vision when confronted with low light or driving through the night.
It has a 149-degree wide-angle view, so you can be confident in your awareness of your surroundings before attempting to reverse your vehicle.
- The settings are adjustable and user friendly.
- Captures clear footage with minimal signal disruption.
- It is a lightweight and compact camera.
- Installation is quick and simple.
- This camera consumes power even when the RV is not on.
- 🔅【Easy Installation】It Won’t Take more than 2 Minutes to Install The Monitor,As soon as You Plugged It to the Cigarette...
- 🔅【Backup camera No Interference】Totally Upgrade 2nd Generation Digital Wireless with 100% No Interference,Camera Wireless Signal Can...
- 🔅【HD 7 inches Monitor】The Picture is Clearer Than Most Similar Products. Advanced IPS Technology Created a monitor which Fast...
The Yakry FHD Digital Backup Camera boasts a split-screen function that supports up to four different cameras at a time, and you can secure the camera in the best location for the most convenient viewing.
With this camera, it can either be used for reversing only or constant monitoring. It also has the ability to record in a continuous loop and will overwrite earlier footage when storage runs out.
The monitor can either be attached to the dash or using a suction cup and installation is very easy. Power simply needs to be provided through your cigarette lighter and then used by the on and off buttons, if you choose you may wire it to a direct power supply.
With a 150-degree wide angle lens, you can be confident in your view of your surroundings when trying to reverse or park your vehicle. The IR night vision makes it much easier when driving in the dark and you can drive with confidence in situations where a lot of light isn’t available.
- Different options enable you to flip the camera depending on the area that you want to look at
- Select guidelines for added support when confronted with small spaces.
- Four cameras can be controlled at once.
- With 1080p resolution, you will have smooth, quality images and footage.
- This system is easy to install and set up.
- You can switch between a single or split screen for preferred viewing of your choice.
- Has ability to record footage
- Streaming can be a little slow, particularly for vehicles over 60ft.
- ►Upgraded HD RV Wireless Backup Camera：With unique dedicated digital signls antenna design and the latest 2021 digital signal chip, the...
- ►The wireless working range up to 220 ft without interference. It can be recorded and has a recording function. You can wire the system...
- ►We provide the mount for install the camera on side. HD 1080P Wireless Camera with IP69 waterproof with 150° wide viewing angle with 18...
My final choice is the DoHonest Digital Wireless Backup Camera System. You can park safely and confidently, even into the smallest of spaces with this camera in place.
As a wireless camera, it is super easy to install and simply needs to be installed near the reversing light. Suitable for reversing, slow and high-speed driving this is a great choice for those seeking a little reassurance in their space available for driving.
With a multi function option, you can choose from 5 different modes and select the best one to suit the vehicle that you are driving. You can also opt for guidelines and your preferred style for viewing these guidelines. This is great for added support when maneuvering into tighter areas.
You will have a smooth, quality image and footage without interference and a 180m acceptance range. The image should stay smooth and clear at speeds up to 110 mph, which I highly doubt you’ll be reaching in your RV.
With an IP69 waterproof rating, you do not need to worry about being caught in some bad weather on your journey as this camera is still going to work without any effect on the quality. The super night vision makes it clear to see when driving throughout the night or when light availability is limited.
- Waterproof, you don’t have to worry about being caught in the rain.
- Excellent night vision
- The guidelines make it much easier to maneuver and reverse into tight spaces.
- Installation and setup are easy.
- It can be a little slow and prone to delays in capturing footage.
- ★Super Stable Signal – Upgraded Wireless RV Backup Camera with Unique digital signal dedicated antenna, power, transmission distance,...
- ★FHD 1080P Image – This digital wireless backup camera designed with 16 infrared light and CCD sensor display images at high definition...
- ★IP69 Waterproof Camera –Highly Waterproof backup camera kits. Wireless trailer backup camera can withstand extreme temperatures from...
When it comes to selecting an RV camera image quality, screen size, and field of view are just a few of the features that are going to be a priority when making your pick. Below, I have listed some of the features that I recommend considering before investing in a camera. This way, you can pick the right camera for your rigs setup
Type of Camera
Although I have focused primarily on wireless cameras, there are also wired options available. There are pros and cons to both types so you’ll want to pick the one that suits you and your RV the best.
Since a wireless RV Camera does not depend on wires to function installation is likely to be much quicker as the plug simply needs to be inserted into the cigarette lighter of your RV and you are then ready to go. You may find sometimes a weakened signal depending on the area that you are traveling in. But usually, wireless cameras deliver great video feeds most of the time.
Your other option is a wired RV camera. This type of camera provides a more consistently stable connection, producing high quality images at all times. Before investing in this type of camera you will want to investigate the best way to route the wire through your RV. Some RVs are going to be more difficult to install a wired camera in than others.
One of the most important features of an RV camera system is the quality of the image. A poor quality image will make maneuvering into a tight space that much more difficult than if you had a high quality image.
There are two parts to image quality, screen resolution and the pixel density of the camera. No matter how high of quality the backup camera is if your display is has poor screen resolution you’ll never get a good image.
A good quality camera is going to produce much clearer images that are easier to look at. Most cameras and displays available boast 1080p so image quality should not be an issue.
Field of View
The field of view simply refers to the width of your viewing angle. When driving a vehicle as large as a motorhome or truck-trailer combo, you need a wide field of view so that you can see everything around you. A wide field of view also makes driving this vehicle much safer as you are not limited on the visible surrounding area.
A 90-degree angle is the narrowest that should be considered for your vehicle as they provide a 45-degree view from the centerline. This is recommended with wireless models in particular. You can get cameras with a field of view of up to 150 degrees too although you may find this to be too broad.
A large monitor is going to consume a lot of space on your dash which could ultimately divert your attention from the road or certainly make it much more difficult to see by blocking your visibility of the road ahead. Most monitors range from 3 to 10 inches in size, although I would recommend you pick a monitor between 5 to 7 inches in size. This is big enough to see the footage well and support split screens, it is not large enough to detract any attention from the road.
For many, traveling in an RV can often see them driving through the night to reach their location. Night vision in the form of infrared LEDs provides much clearer visibility in these circumstances where natural light isn’t available.
This allows for easy driving and reversing with confidence even when it is dark. The more infrared LEDs a camera has, the better it will perform at night.
Since your camera is going to be installed on the rear of your RV it is going to be subjected to all kinds of wet weather. Buying an RV camera that is waterproof is essential.
Waterproof cameras are measured using an IP rating (Ingress Protection). This is a measure of how foreign bodies like water and moisture can enter the sealed body of the camera.
You’ll want to pick a camera that has an IP rating of at least 67. But most cameras built for road vehicles will have a rating of 69, which is the best possible.
Wireless RV cameras tend to be much easier to install than wired cameras. This is because they don’t require as many leads. Instead of depending on wires, they depend on wireless technology or digital signals. To set up your camera, you simply need to supply power to both the display and the camera.
Mounting is also an important part of the installation. This includes both mounting the camera and the display. Both will need careful consideration of the space you have available and how you intend to secure the display and camera to your RV.
The price can differ depending on the camera that you invest in and also the brand that you invest in too. A camera that boasts all of the high tech features is generally going to be more expensive than a standard RV camera.
If you are working within a tight budget there are many options available. However, you will likely end up with a lower quality camera system for your RV.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a wireless RV camera work?
A wireless RV camera depends on wireless technology or digital signals to connect to the monitor at the front of your vehicle. The camera is typically installed at the rear of the vehicle and uses a transmitter to send live footage back to the monitor for you to view.
They work to give you a clearer image of the areas surrounding you that your mirrors may not have picked up, particularly in the case of reversing in a large vehicle like an RV.
Is an RV camera easy to install?
A wireless camera is the easiest option when it comes to an simple installation. With minimal wires, the monitor and camera simply need to be connected to power. The monitor is then mounted onto the dash.
Is an RV backup camera worth it?
Having an RV camera installed can make you feel much more confident behind the wheel. Driving a vehicle the size of an RV can be daunting, especially when it comes to reversing and parking in tighter spaces and having a camera in place can create a greater awareness of the road and space around you.
Many cameras have the benefit of letting you see behind you while driving down the road making lane changes much easier and helping you monitor anything you might be towing.